No Charges Will be Filed Against Police Officers in Centreville Shooting
Commonwealth's attorney clears Sully District Station officers.
No charges will be filed against two officers who shot and killed an armed Centreville man in July, the Fairfax County Police Department announced Tuesday.
Commonwealth attorney Ray Morrogh has found "no basis for criminal liability on the part of the police officers who discharged their weapons," the department said in a news release. Ricardo Leon, 34, of Kendra Way in Centreville, a lieutenant with the Naval Observatory police, was walking around in his garage with a shotgun when police arrived at the home. Fairfax police said that Leon ignored repeated warnings to put down the gun and officers opened fire after he walked towards them.
The department also released, for the first time, the names of the officers who discharged their weapons that night. Pfc Jonathan Keitz and Pfc Stephen Sykes, both officers at the Sully District Station, were both assigned to administrative duties after the shooting.
Keitz, who has worked at the department for five years, and Sykes, who has worked there for four years, have both returned to their regular patrol duties.
There's still no clear explanation for why Leon, a Marine Corps veteran, behaved the way he did that night—apparently erratic and throwing items out of windows.
Also, Fairfax County Police said after the shooting that four officers were placed on routine administrative leave. The news release did not address the status of the other two officers and a spokesperson for the department could not immediately be reached for comment. This story will be updated once that information becomes available. Update, Aug. 31: Fairfax County Police spokesperson Lucy Caldwell says that the other officers had already been placed back on active duty and had no involvement in the shooting.