This Week's Weather: Hot and Muggy with Cooler Temps Starting Thursday
Heat Advisory remains in effect Monday from noon to 9 p.m., according to National Weather Service.
Weather played a role in shutting down Sunday night's National Memorial Day Concert on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol, with the threat of severe thunderstorms halting the concert about 45 minutes after it had started at 8 p.m., according to local news reports.
Will thunderstorms return this week? Chances are about 50-50 for Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service. But Memorial Day should be a sunny day, with highs hitting the low 90s, with about a 10 percent threat of isolated thunderstorms, according to the weather service.
The area could see some areas of patchy fog Monday before 9 a.m., the weather service reports.
On Memorial Day, the air quality will be "yellow" or moderate with "some pollution," according to the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. The group recommends "bundling errands" and taking precautions with anyone's health who is considered high-risk, while outdoors. WJLA warns that due to mugginess, the temperature will feel like 100 degrees.
Hot weather with highs near 91 degrees will stick around from Monday until Wednesday with temperatures dipping into the low 80s for the high by Thursday, according to NWS, thanks to a front bringing in cooler, drier air.
Until then, for Tuesday, there is a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms, with chances increasing to 50 percent that night. Wednesday morning will dawn with a 20 percent chance of rain according to NWS.
Northern Virginia's best weather day this week looks to be Thursday, with a forecasted high of 83 degrees by the National Weather Service (NBC 4 predicts the high will only be 78 degrees) and a "zero percent" chance of rain according to The Weather Channel.
For the coming weekend, the area will see temperatures cool down even more. On Friday the area should see highs of about 79 degrees coupled with a 50 to 60 percent chance of thunderstorms. Saturday should see a high of 75 degrees, with a mostly cloudy day and 30 to 40 percent chance of thunderstorms.
The average high for this time of year is 79 degrees, according to NBC 4.