It’s Tuesday, Aug. 20. Here are five things you need to know. Tell us what we need to know on the Patch message board!
1. Today: Thriving Three to Fives: "Beat the Heat" at the Centreville Regional Library. "Stories and activities about keeping cool. Age 3-5 with adult." Check with library for availability. 11 a.m. Tuesday, 14200 St Germain Dr.
2. You Said It: “This looks like a scheme for funneling public money to the candidate's friends.” Readers have reacted both positively and negatively to an education proposal by gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli that would, among other things, provide funding and resources for more charter schools.
3. ICYMI: Did you see our map of area Farmers Markets? Let us know if we're missing one and we'll add it!
4. Number of the Day: 7. That’s the number of weekend break-ins and attempted burglaries that Prince William County Police investigators believe may be related.
5. Today…in History: Three celebrity birthdays. Al Roker of “The Today Show” is 59. Joan Allen of the “Bourne” movies turns 57. And the latest Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield, turns the big 3-0.