The 2nd Phase – How Being a Gator Opened My Eyes Part 1

As a freshman at the University of Florida, I never once thought I would make the cheerleading team. When I found out that the University had a club competition cheer program...

As a freshman at the University of Florida, I never once thought I would make the cheerleading team.  When I found out that the University had a club competition cheer program, I could not have been a happier person; all I wanted to do was compete! I walked into tryouts my freshman year, took one look around and knew that this is where I wanted to spend the next four years, but that it would also be a challenge. Boy, was I right.

I tried out, and made the team, as an alternate but I made it! The next goal was to just work hard to achieve my goal of becoming a full time member of the team. I didn’t have to wait long, I worked hard and about a month or so after tryouts I found myself as the newest member for the intermediate team for Florida Competition Cheerleading (FCC). Because I was such a late bloomer in the cheer world, my hard work continued as I worked to keep up with my team mates. I was in the gym taking privates and in the gym working out. It eventually paid off as I was able to develop my tumbling and stunting skills pretty well, especially for someone who is 4’11.

I was never a terrific athlete, but I had heart and I wanted it more than anything. I know that that is one of the biggest reasons I am where I am today. I love finding athletes with the biggest hearts, because they make it worth it!

After my freshman year I found myself nominated to become the programs Vice President. It was then that I think I really knew that all I wanted was to have my own program one day. In my junior year, I found myself in a pretty tough spot. After months and months of practice my team was headed to NCA Daytona College Nationals. After performing on day one, I knew something was wrong. Our coach was not too happy with our performance that day so we soon found ourselves practicing outside. I found myself with no feeling in my right hand/arm/neck. Hoping it was something I could shake off and being the stubborn athlete that I am, I continued to practice.

This did not last long and soon after that my dad and I found ourselves in the nearest hospital. The hospital could not see anything from a x-ray but advised that I should probably not compete the next day. Well, that was not an option. So they put my arm in a sling, gave me some medicine and told me to see a doctor when I got home. Fast forward to the next day, we performed and did amazing! But the feeling I felt coming off the mat was not a happy one, I knew that that would be the last time I would compete. But most definitely not the last time I would have cheer in my life...

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »