.

Accidental Fire in Day Care Center Sunday in Centreville

Converted garage had $100,000 in damage, according to fire investigators.

Converted garage had $100,000 in damage, according to fire investigators. Patch file.
Converted garage had $100,000 in damage, according to fire investigators. Patch file.

Release, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Sunday, February 16, 2014, at approximately 2:15 p.m., in the Centreville area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 7105 Ordway Road.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from a converted garage upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Working smoke alarms provided early warning and allowed the occupants to escape unharmed prior to firefighters arriving. The garage had been converted into a day care center. Four adults and three children have been displaced. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the air conditioning wall unit in the converted garage caused the fire.

MsDiana February 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I'm glad everyone is ok. But this is why you don't rig stuff in your home. Leave the anything electrical up to a professional.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »