.

Firefighters Respond to Grease Fire in Chantilly

Fire Thursday night started in the kitchen at home on Summer Hollow Court.

Patch file photo
Patch file photo
Fairfax County firefighters responded Thursday evening to a kitchen grease fire that got out of control on the 4000 block of Summer Hollow Court in Chantilly.

No one was displaced by the fire and there was no major damage, a Fairfax County Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said.

Fire Prevention Week is set for next month, Oct. 6-12. The following is information from the National Fire Prevention Association:

Cooking  
  • U.S. Fire Departments responded to an estimated annual average of 156,600 cooking-related fires between 2007-2011, resulting in 400 civilian deaths, 5,080 civilian injuries and $853  million in direct damage. 
  • Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen.
  • Unattended cooking was a factor in 34% of reported home cooking fires.
  • Two-thirds of home cooking fires started with ignition of food or other cooking materials. 
  • Ranges accounted for the 58% of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
  • Children under five face a higher risk of non-fire burns associated with cooking than being burned in a cooking fire.
  • Microwave ovens are one of the leading home products associated with scald burn injuries not related to fires. Nearly half (44%) of the microwave oven injuries seen at emergency rooms in 2011 were scald burns.
  • Clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of home cooking fires, but these incidents accounted for 16% of the cooking fire deaths.


Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »