.

Overturned Lamp Starts Fire, Causes $200,000 at Centreville Home, Fire Officials Say

Nine people were displaced by the fire.

Five occupants were home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed when sounding smoke alarms provided early warning. Patch archive photo
Five occupants were home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed when sounding smoke alarms provided early warning. Patch archive photo

An overturned lamp started a fire that caused $200,000 in damage to a Centreville home over the weekend.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded Saturday at about 6 p.m. to a townhouse fire in the Centreville area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at on Truitt Farm Drive.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the second floor of the two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. 

The fire was primarily contained to an upstairs bedroom; however, there was extensive smoke and water damage throughout the home. 

Five occupants were home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed when sounding smoke alarms provided early warning. Nine occupants have been displaced. Red Cross is providing support. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at approximately $200,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An overturned bedroom lamp ignited bedding, causing the fire.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »