Fairfax County Public Schools offices close at noon on Tuesday, but those schools that are designated polling places will remain open, that is, unless the Virginia governor declares a state of emergency.
The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
Snow is expected to start after 10 a.m., continuing throughout the day until around 10 p.m.
Temperatures are expected to drop heading into the evening, with the National Weather Service forecasting Tuesday night to be, "cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -10. North wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible."
• Fairfax County Government offices are open, Tuesday Jan. 21, but employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled.
Stay tuned to Patch with more information as it becomes available.